Philippi Main Street
108 N. Main St.
PO Box 460
Philippi, WEST VIRGINIA 26416
Contact phone: 304-457-3700
Web site: http://www.philippi.org/citysite/
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Philippi is a safe, peaceful town known for its famed two-lane covered bridge, the only one in the federal highway system.
• Philippi is home to Alderson Broaddus College, a Baptist affiliatedcollege with approximately 900 students.
• The Philippi Covered Bridge built in 1852 is the nation’s only covered bridge serving a federal highway.
• The historic Barbour County Courthouse houses a renovated courtroom with stained glass windows and skylight.
• Nearby Teter Creek Lake and Tygart River offer water recreation including fishing, skiing and rafting.
• The only bicycle shop in the county, Sports and Spokes, based in Philippi, organizes bike races and excursions in the area.
• The unique Knitting Machines Etc. offers supplies and instruction classes on knitting with a loom-like machine.
• Philippi Main Street organizes the annual “Smoking on the Tygart” chili cook-off. The event takes place the Saturday of Father’s Day weekend in June. The day of family activities includes a motorcycle poker run, music, games and food.
• Chartered in 1844, Philippi is the site of the first land battle of the Civil War, an event commemorated each June in the annual “Blue and Gray” historical re-enactment. The three-day event brings thousands of people to the area to enjoy food, entertainment and Civil War demonstrations.