Philippi Covered Bridge & Historic District

Recent Pages: Philippi Covered Bridge & Historic District
 

Philippi Covered Bridge & Historic District



Philippi Covered Bridge & Historic District
: Philippi Historical Society Museum, 200 N. Main St.
Philippi, WEST VIRGINIA 26416
BARBOUR County

Contact phone: 304-457-4846
Latitude: 39.162009
Longitude: -80.058961

The city of Philippi was the site of the first land battle of the Civil War on June 3, 1861. It also was the site of the first amputation of the war, performed on James Hanger. Built in 1852, the bridge was heavily utilized by both armies during the Civil War. During the battle, Union troops took control of the bridge and used it as a barracks. Severely damaged by fire in 1989, the bridge has been restored to its original appearance. It is one of the few such covered bridges still in use as a part of the federal highway system.


This facility is included in "A Guide to Accessible Recreation in West Virginia."
Please check the Guide or the site for information on accessibility. Please note - a self-reporting survey was used to compile the information in this Guide; every attempt was made to verify the accuracy of the information but West Virginia Division of Tourism is not responsible for errors or inaccuracies.