Blackwater Falls State Park
Rte. 29, Blackwater Road
Davis, WEST VIRGINIA 26260
Contact phone: 304-259-5216
Contact phone 2: 800-225-5982
Web site: http://www.blackwaterfalls.com
Contact e-mail: email@example.com
Blackwater Falls State Park is named for the falls of the Blackwater River whose amber-colored waters plunge five stories then twist and tumble through an eight-mile long gorge. The "black" water is a result of tannic acid from fallen hemlock and red spruce needles. The falls are one of the most photographed sites in West Virginia.
- Cross Country Skiing - Over ten miles of park trails can be enjoyed by beginning as well as more experienced cross country skiers. Many of these are groomed and maintained specifically for cross country skiing. A full service cross country ski center offers ski lessons and equipment rental. The Sled Run & Cross Country Ski Center are open from mid-December through March 15th.
- Sledding - The sledding hill is one-quarter mile long and sledders get to the top by a rope tow, available on weekends when snows are sufficient. The hill and tow area are groomed and maintained for sledding. Sleds are available for rent at the cross country ski center. The Sled Run & Cross Country Ski Center are open from mid-December through March 15th.
- Hiking - The park offers over 20 miles of hiking trails. Map and trail guides are available which will assist guests in planning a hike of the right length and duration.
- Nature and Recreation Programs - The park naturalist offers a variety of programs on the park's natural and cultural history. Also, programs and tours can be arranged for groups. These are available year round. Call ahead to 1-800-CALL-WVA and ask to speak to Blackwater Falls Naturalists.
- Nature Center - The Nature Center is open daily from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend. The Nature Center offers displays, programs and information on the park's natural resources.
- Boating and Games - Boating is offered at Pendleton Lake from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day. Game courts and equipment such as tennis, volleyball and basketball are also available during the summer months. Come enjoy the waters of Pendleton Lake, beginning Memorial Day Weekend. Daily 10AM - 6PM.
- Swimming - Blackwater Lodge has a small indoor pool for registered Lodge and Cabin Guests. Registered Campground guests may use the pool for a nominal fee. At nearby Canaan Valley Resort, a large outdoor heated pool is open to the public from Memorial Day through Labor Day weekends. Pendleton Lake no longer offers outdoor swimming.
- Fishing - The Blackwater River is stocked weekly with trout from early spring through early summer. The section of the Blackwater River that runs through the park is a catch and release area. It is stocked regularly with trout. Fishing is also allowed at Pendleton Lake. Proper license and stamps are required.
This facility is included in "A Guide to Accessible Recreation in West Virginia
Please check the Guide or the site for information on accessibility. Please note - a self-reporting survey was used to compile the information in this Guide; every attempt was made to verify the accuracy of the information but West Virginia Division of Tourism is not responsible for errors or inaccuracies.