Stuart Recreation Area
Elkins, WEST VIRGINIA 26241
Contact phone: 304-478-2000
Web site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf
Completed and opened in 1937, Stuart Recreation Area is one of four developed recreation areas built by the CCC. Known locally as “Stuart Park,” it became the centerpiece of a large recreation complex built with CCC labor that also included Bickle Knob. Designed by MNF recreation planner H.T. Stoddard, Stuart’s landscaping plan called for large open grassy fields, winding wooded trails, campgrounds, picnic areas, rustic picnic shelters with the central swimming area found along the banks of Shaver’s Fork. Today, the open fields and the historic CCC-built administrative building along with two CCC-built rustic log picnic shelters continue to draw visitors.