Green Hill Cemetery, 485 East Burke St., Martinsburg. Covering all sides of a cone-shaped hill, the 1854 cemetery is laid out in circles taken from a French design. Among the graves are 30 unknown Confederate soldiers, as well as Captain E.G. Alburits, who commanded the Berkeley Company at Harpers Ferry during the John Brown raid.
Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, (near Hilltop Tennis Courts). A simple marker indicates the burial of 16 unknown Confederate soldiers who died of wounds received at the Battle of Dry Creek, August 26-27, 1863.
Blue Sulphur Springs, C.R. 25, three miles south of Smoot off I-64. A state historical marker and simple headstone identify the final resting place of 89 unknown Georgian soldiers who died while encamped near here during the winter of 1862-1863.
Confederate Cemetery, Lewisburg. The cemetery features a mass grave of 95 unknown Confederate soldiers who died during the Battle of Lewisburg on May 23, 1862. The graves were laid out in a cross design on a hilltop on the edge of town. There also are graves of three known Confederate States of America veterans interred after the war.
Old Stone Presbyterian Church, 200 Church St., Lewisburg. Following the Battle of Lewisburg, May23, 1862, the Old Stone Presbyterian Church was used as a hospital. Several Civil War veterans are buried in the church cemetery.
Olivet Cemetery, Moorefield. Formally set aside as a cemetery in 1851, the shelling of Moorefield took place from this hillside in 1863.
A section of the cemetery is noted on a map as “Confederate dead,” and features a large monument, which was erected by the Memorial Association in 1873. The obelisk has plaques on each of the four sides recognizing the McNeill Rangers, Hardy Blues and Grays and the 18th and 7th Virginia Cavalries. The monument stands in the center of a double ring of gravestones.
Jackson Cemetery, Clarksburg, East Pike St., between Cherry St. and Charleston Ave. The family plot is the final resting place of General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s great-grandparents, father and sister.
Elmwood Cemetery, Shepherdstown. The Elmwood Cemetery includes the graves of several Confederate veterans including Henry Kyd Douglas, staff officer to General “Stonewall” Jackson, and General William W. Kirkland (Confederate States of America).
Zion Episcopal Church and Cemetery, East Congress St., Charles Town. Several prominent local Confederates are buried here including General Robert E. Lee’s cartographer, S. Howell Brown.
Spring Hill Cemetery, Charleston. Offering commanding views of the city, this cemetery includes a section with several Confederate soldiers’ graves.
Virginia’s Chapel and Slave Cemetery, U.S. Rt. 60, Cedar Grove. This quaint chapel served as a Confederate hospital and Union stable during the war. A slave cemetery is located behind the church.
Mount Iser Cemetery, near Beverly (Butcher Hill Historic District). At least 62 Confederate soldiers and one civilian, many of them killed at the Battle of Rich Mountain, are buried in this small cemetery surrounded by Union fortifications.
Grafton National Cemetery, 431 Walnut St. This cemetery was established in 1867 by congressional legislation to offer a final resting place for the men who died during the Civil War. The remains of Union soldiers were removed from temporary graves in West Virginia as well as several Union dead from Kentucky. Of the 1,215 graves, 664 are unknown and some are Confederate soldiers. Notably the grave of Private T. Bailey Brown, the first Union soldier to be killed by a Confederate, is located here.