West Virginia Department of Commerce Hatfield-McCoy Mountains

Recent Pages: Hatfield-McCoy...
 

Hatfield-McCoy Mountains



Boone County
Formed in 1847 and named for frontiersman Daniel Boone. The leading industrial and agricultural products are coal, lumber, natural gas, tobacco and strawberries. The county seat, Madison, was the site of the first Boone Court House, which burned during the Civil War. The town was incorporated in 1906 and named for Colonel William Madison Peyton, pioneer coal operator, and a leader of the movement to create the county.

Lincoln County
Created from parts of Cabell, Putnam, Kanawha and Boone Counties in 1867 and named for President Abraham Lincoln. The leading industrial and agricultural products are petroleum, natural gas, lumber, tobacco, corn and potatoes. The county seat of Hamlin is thought to have been chartered around 1867; however, records were destroyed when the courthouse caught fire in 1909. The town was named for Leonides Lent Hamline, a Methodist bishop, and is the home town of retired Brigadier General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager, test pilot and first man to break the sound barrier.

Logan County
Formed from parts of Giles, Tazewell, Cabell and Kanawha Counties in 1824 and named for the Mingo Indian Chief, Logan. The chief agricultural and industrial products are livestock, dairying, corn, potatoes, lumber, coal and electrical power.

The county seat of Logan was first laid out in 1827 and was known as Lawnville. Chartered in 1852, the town was called Aracoma, after the daughter of Shawnee Chief Cornstalk. Princess Aracoma was killed in a battle between her tribe and area settlers. Her story is told every August in the outdoor drama "Aracoma Story." The name was changed again in 1907 to Logan.

Mingo County
The youngest county in West Virginia was formed from Logan County in 1895 and named for the Indian tribe of which Logan was chief. The leading agricultural products and industries are livestock, corn, potatoes, coal and lumber.

The county seat of Williamson was incorporated in 1905 and named for the city founder, Wallace J. Williamson, who owned most of the town's land. The town of Matewan is the area where the Hatfields of West Virginia and the McCoys of Kentucky fought across the Tug Fork River. Stories contend differing catalysts for the feud including that it started during the Civil War; was over ownership of a razorback hog; the illegitimate birth of Rose Ann McCoy and Johnson Hatfield's child in 1881; and the election of 1882. It is known that a Kentucky judge awarded ownership of the hog to the Hatfields and on Election Day in August 1882, a fight started between Tolbert McCoy and Ellison Hatfield. Hatfield was mortally wounded and three of his brothers captured his assailants. On the day Ellison died, the captured McCoy brothers were taken into Kentucky, tied to some bushes and shot. The McCoys tried to have the Hatfields prosecuted and began kidnapping family members and taking them across the border to Kentucky. The Hatfields went after their clansmen and on January 1, 1888, a bloody battle erupted, with members of both families killed. The fight gained national attention. Although no one is actually sure how the feud started or ended, Devil Anse Hatfield is buried in Logan County beneath his life size statue. 

Theatre West Virginia in Beckley puts on the outdoor drama "Hatfields and McCoys" every summer at Cliffside Amphitheater.

In the early 1900s, the United Mine Workers Association tried to establish unionization of West Virginia's coal fields and on May 19, 1920, the situation escalated into the "Matewan Massacre." Here Baldwin‑Felts' agents (representing the coal companies), union men and prounion local officials fought and 10 lives were lost. This battle was reenacted in the acclaimed John Sayles’ movie "Matewan."


Wayne County
Created from Cabell County in 1842 and named in honor of General Anthony Wayne of Revolutionary War fame. The leading industrial and chief agricultural products are coal, natural gas, lumber, cement and concrete, hay, grain, tobacco, livestock, dairying, poultry, fruit, vegetables and sorghum.

The town of Wayne is the county seat and was originally founded in 1842 as Trout's Hill in honor of Abraham Trout, an early settler and owner of the land. One of the first settlers in Ceredo, Z. D. Ramsdell, an abolitionist, built a home in 1858 which served as a final stop on the Underground Railroad. The town boasts one of the oldest official beautification commissions in West Virginia and in 1979 was selected winner of the first Governor's Award as "Outstanding All‑West Virginia City."

Located at the point where three states converge, Kenova was founded in 1889 and the name is a compounded abbreviation of the three states - Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia.