The Tourism Matching Advertising Partnership Program is a reimbursable partnership program that provides matching funds for innovative and effective direct advertising projects that increase visitation and travel expenditures in the State of West Virginia impacting the economic growth of the travel industry.
PLEASE NOTE: It is mandatory for ALL applicants at ALL award levels who are seeking MAPP funding to attend MAPP Committee and Tourism Commission meetings in order to represent their projects and answer questions.
MAPP Funding Levels
Important MAPP Notification
The Tourism Commission voted to approve the following at their December 18, 2014 meeting:
A clarification under the Internet Media category for the purchase of social media. This clarification includes the following:
Social Media marketing initiatives allowable for MAPP funding include, but are not limited to - Invoiced buys on: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest.
Additional Social Media Information:
- 1.1 WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA?
Social media are tools for social interaction, using highly accessible and scalable publishing techniques. The various platforms use web-based technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogues.
- 1.2 WHAT ARE SOCIAL MEDIA TOOLS?
The following are categorized as social media tools:
• Social networking sites (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn)
• Video and photo sharing websites (i.e. Instagram, Flickr, YouTube)
• Micro-blogging (i.e. Twitter)
• Weblogs, including corporate blogs, personal blogs or blogs hosted by traditional media publications
• Forums and discussion boards such as Yahoo! Groups or Google Groups
• Online encyclopedias such as Wikipedia
• Any other web sites that allow individual users or companies to use simple publishing tools
It is preferable to have the WV Tourism logo or #GoToWV appear on the ad itself, but if that is not feasible, a waiver or alternative may be granted on a case by case basis. Such a waiver must be requested in writing and approved by Anna Plantz and a Tourism Commission Member according to the logo standards. All MAPP advertising that requires creative approval must be accompanied by a Creative Approval Form and emailed to Anna Plantz at Anna.M.Plantz@wv.gov.
In order to evaluate social media purchases, the Division will add elements to the Tracking Survey, including:
Number of ‘likes’, number of shares, reach, increased number of followers, increased impressions, number of engagements achieved.
Reimbursement Requirements for Social Media will include:
▫ Invoice for payment or itemized proof of purchase, with proof of payment
▫ Copy of vendor invoice, proof of vendor payment
▫ Screen shot of advertising page to show WV logo or #GoToWV
▫ Screen shot of applicant’s website home page with link to WV Tourism Page
Additional Requirement Examples:
Applicants are required to:
Follow the official WV Tourism page (https://www.facebook.com/gotowv)
Add WV Tourism page as a link within your page’s About section.
Follow GoToWV on Twitter - (Go to https://twitter.com/GoToWV and click the Follow button
||A clarification of 6.2 of the Legislative Rule that states “Eighty percent (80%) of a project's direct advertising must be directed toward areas outside of the local market or in major out-of-state markets, except for direct advertising for a fair or festival grant authorized by subsection 7.3 of this rule.”
The clarification states:
- The Commission reserves the right to allow local market media in excess of 20% that cost effectively reaches a well-researched target market on a case by case basis.
- Applicants requesting this allowance should present their case under Question #1 of the Evaluation Criteria section of the MAPP application – “Describe how the project demonstrates potential for a strong positive return on investment and is well researched.”
||The following question will be added to the MAPP Submission check boxes at the beginning of the Application form:
- Are you receiving any other state or federal funding for this project? Please list and include a brief explanation of how the dollars are being utilized:
||All future modification requests for extensions of MAPP projects will be reviewed by the Division and a designee of the Tourism Commission (this will not affect the 30-day deadline for extensions).
Should you need additional information, please contact Anna Plantz at the Division of Tourism at (304) 957-9325 or Anna.M.Plantz@wv.gov.