West Virginia Department of Commerce F.A.Q. - Governor's Community Participation Grant

Recent Pages: F.A.Q. -...

F.A.Q. - Governor's Community Participation Grant

The Governor's Community Partnership Program
(Frequently asked questions)

May counties and municipalities subgrant funds to nonprofit organizations?
Counties and municipalities may sponsor the applications of nonprofit organizations serving their area, provided that these organizations are legally authorized to receive public funds. As the grantee, the county or municipality must act as the administrator of any grant funds provided to nonprofit organizations, and must maintain fiduciary responsibility for the expenditure of funds.

Nonprofit organizations must be designated as 501(c) organizations by the Internal Revenue Service and be registered with the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office as a charitable organization. Organizations that do not have IRS 501(c) status and/or are not registered with the Secretary of State's Office are not eligible for funding through the program.

What is the average grant amount? Generally, partnership grants do not exceed $50,000, although the amount of each grant will vary depending upon the nature of the project.

Which activities are not eligible? Activities generally not eligible for funding include but are not limited to expendable items related to the following: Administrative costs, food, clothing, insurance premiums, maintenance, medical programs, national dues, operational expenses, postage, rent, routine maintenance, salaries, scholarships, sports uniforms, training and speakers' fees, travel expenses and utility costs.

What is the program timeline? The partnership program is administered according to the state fiscal year, July 1 to June 30. Applications are considered during the fiscal year in which they are received. Those not approved within the fiscal year are removed from consideration and must be resubmitted by the applicant in a subsequent fiscal year.

Upon approval, grant funds should be expended in a timely manner. Mutual written agreement between the West Virginia Development Office and the grantee is required to extend a grant period for more than one fiscal year.

How are grants approved? The governor will announce the approval of all partnership program grants through a formal letter to the appropriate unit of local government. Letters are issued and/or presented throughout the fiscal year at the governor's discretion.

How are funds disbursed? Following the governor's approval, the West Virginia Development Office will enter into a contract with the unit of local government for each project. No costs should be incurred or commitments made relative to a grant prior to the full execution of the contract.

Funds are disbursed based upon approved invoices and receipts that correspond to the requirements of the project contract. All requests for reimbursement must be certified by the unit of local government and approved by the West Virginia Development Office.

Are prevailing wages required for public construction projects? Yes. Prevailing wages must be paid for construction work performed on public improvement projects involving state grant funds, regardless of the project cost. Wage rates may be obtained from the West Virginia Secretary of State, Administrative Law Division, at (304) 558-6000. If federal funds are involved, the higher of either federal or state wage rates must be paid.

Construction expenses may include professional services, materials, equipment and contracted labor. Volunteer labor and/or force account labor, for existing employees only, is also permitted.

Is competitive bidding required? The expenditure of public funds is governed by guidelines set forth by the state of West Virginia as well as any existing local purchasing procedures. In all cases, the grantee must follow the more stringent of either state or local purchasing and bidding requirements.

Purchases and construction projects exceeding $10,000 must be competitively bid through a Class II legal advertisement. In addition, construction projects exceeding $25,000 must be competitively bid. Please call the West Virginia Development Office for additional details.

Are uses of grant funds audited? Project records will be audited by the State Auditor's Office, Chief Inspection Division, or a designated audit firm as a part of the grantee's annual audit. All records must be maintained for a period of three years after completion of the final audit.