Although a mere 20-minute drive from the state capital city of Charleston, St. Albans takes pride in keeping its small town charm.
Built near present-day St. Albans in 1786, Fort Tackett stood on land that originally belonged to George Washington. The town was known under the names Ft. Tackett, Coalsmouth, Phillipi, Village of Jefferson and the Village of Kanawha City. In 1872, it was incorporated as St. Albans, the name it still holds today.
St. Albans presently has 11 sites on the National Register of Historic Places and one Historic District with 28 buildings. Among these is the restored C&O Train Depot, one of the more architecturally detailed depots in the state. The local historical society organizes frequent walking tours.
- Morgan's Kitchen Fall Festival is the 2nd Saturday in October.
- The Annual Christmas Tour of Historic Homes is the 1st Saturday in December
Major employers in the area include the City of St. Albans, C&O Motors, BB&T, Loop-Premiere Pharmacy, Kmart, Kroger and Chapman Technical Group.