Our Mission The Division of Tourism, in partnership with the private sector tourism industry, works to cultivate a world-class travel and tourism industry through the creation of jobs, stimulation of investment, expansion of current tourism businesses, and promotion of a positive state image; thereby, improving the way of life for West Virginians.
Statutory Authority West Virginia Code 5B-2-8
Our Organization Administration
- Increase awareness of the attractions, events and destinations within the state through marketing and advertising.
- Coordinate and manage media activities to maximize tourism-related editorial coverage for the state.
- Conduct research, coordinate and analyze research data for dissemination to the tourism industry and to use for strategic planning purposes.
- Provide exemplary customer service to travelers through the 1-800-CALL WVA Call Center and statewide Welcome Centers and to industry members through educational workshops and consulting services.
- Administer the Matching Advertising Partnership Program (MAPP), providing matching funds to tourism entities for advertising and marketing purposes and providing in-house auditing of grant fund expenditures.
- Promote a positive image of West Virginia as a great place to live, work and play.
- Provides oversight and direction for strategic planning, establishing and reaching goals and objectives, and daily operation of the agency.
- Provides an accounting of all revenue, expenses and purchasing functions by establishing an effective overall system of internal control, including conducting audits of MAPP applicant fund expenditures.
Cooperative Tourism/Matching Advertising Partnership Program (MAPP)
- Cooperative Tourism manages MAPP, which provides matching funds to tourism entities for advertising and marketing purposes.
Customer Service Centers
- Promote state travel destinations and provide assistance to visitors through management of the l-800-CALLWVA Call Center and eight Welcome Centers throughout the state, as well as through tourism literature distribution, reservation referrals, itinerary planning and Web site chat sessions.
- Promotes the state as a premiere travel destination by identifying markets and developing projects and campaigns to increase awareness of the state’s unique and diverse tourist offerings.
- Works with Commerce Communications and an outside advertising agency to develop and manage all aspects of the Division’s advertising efforts.
- Works with Commerce Communications and industry members to coordinate and manage media activities in state, national and international markets to maximize tourism editorial coverage, and to respond to various media inquiries about the tourism industry or the Division.
West Virginia Film Office
- Supports commerce by recruiting motion picture, television and related media productions to West Virginia as a place to conduct business; thereby, positively impacting the state’s economic base by creating job opportunities for our work force.